Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When I Grow Up, I Want to be a Librarian...

... or at the very least work in a library.

I first heard about blogs when applying for grad school in Madison for a MLIS (Masters in Library & Information Sciences). Somewhere in my librarian grad school research I read and got it in my head that a blog would be one way to show MLIS programs that I meant business.

Problem is Hot4Jesus took on a life of its own. By the time I sent in my Madison application I cringed at the possibility of my application and my sacrilegious blog mixing like oil and water. In true Xtine form, I applied to only one program: Madison. I didn’t get accepted. I highly doubt my blogs had anything to do with not getting accepted. I’d been out of college for way too long (though just right for me) and who knows why else – other than Madison is pretty darn competitive and luck would have it that “God” didn’t want me going there anyway.

No – seriously – while looking at other library grad programs I kept hearing rave reviews about a two year Associates program in Minneapolis for Library & Information Technology (LIT). After I sat down with the department head I was sold hook, line and sinker.

I’m starting my second year in the LIT program and absolutely love it. Actually I’m on the two and a half year track. Once again – typical Xtine. Maybe I’ll continue and pursue a Masters. Maybe I won’t. Either way, this summer I started work in the campus library after years of whoring myself out for tips.

Every shift in the stacks makes my head spin - creatively speaking – and I’ve been itching to blog about it. It’s going to take a lot of hard work to get me blogging in such a way that doesn’t make someone blush – so until a more professional library blog phase comes along I’m going to let it all hang out.

Years ago I worked in the Rolvaag Library at St. Olaf College. Back then I was innocent and could barely look anyone in the eye. Soon after graduating, I quit my teaching career to pursue music, the stage, writing and me. It’s taken over ten years but I know that if I had a job shelving books and answering mundane questions for the rest of my life, I’d be a happy camper… especially if I can write about the books, about my love affair with Jesus, about anything under the sun. Maybe someday music.

So here goes... The stuff that inspires me about libraries. The stuff that inspires me about print and images and audio and and and. The stuff that inspires me about helping people find what they are looking for – when we finally work up the courage to search.

I’ll write library posts when I can – and maybe sometimes when I should be doing homework instead.

Bis dann…

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails